Version 7.1

Swanage Belle

by Simon Cox



Swanage Belle

I recently booked a trip on the Swanage Belle, a steam hauled special from London down to Swanage on the Dorset Coast.

A trip on a steam pulled train from London to the coast.

We were up at 5am on Sat­ur­day 15th Octo­ber 2011, main­ly because Paula had to do her hair prop­er­ly as we were dress­ing in 50’s style to look the part on this spe­cial trip. Paula had pur­chased a gen­uine 50’s dress in Brighton and I had got hold of a Har­ris Tweed jack­et on the inter­net which was a very good fit at very rea­son­able price, topped off with a cra­vat and a tweed hat, but I for­got to take my pipe (I don’t smoke any­more so I didn’t miss it). We caught the local train at 6:44 and met our good chums Nigel and Mar­i­anne on board, also dressed for the 50’s day out, and made our way up to Vic­to­ria where we were meant to board the Swan­age Belle but its depar­ture had been moved to Euston. I was quite wor­ried by this as Euston tends to point North where­as Vic­to­ria points South which is more in the direc­tion of Swan­age. How­ev­er, a quick peek at Google maps of Lon­don shows that you can whip round to the West and South — Lon­don is still full of inter­est­ing rail­way routes and con­nec­tions despite los­ing miles of trackbed over the years.

At Euston we had a cup of tea — Paula was quite inter­est­ed in get­ting some­thing to eat, I had not told her about the details of the day as it was a sur­prise, but we got a cup of tea and wait­ed for the train indi­ca­tor to tell us the plat­form which after a while it did and we strolled over to plat­form 16 to find a rake of old maroon coach­ing stock with a mag­nif­i­cent main­line steam loco­mo­tive at the front — Oliv­er Cromwell.

We walked up and had a good look at the loco­mo­tive and took a few pic­tures, as were many peo­ple. Look­ing around there were a few well-dressed peo­ple but no one else had done the step back in time look! Then we went and found our coach, B, and seats. the coach was beau­ti­ful­ly pan­elled in wood and the seats fin­ished in a rich red moquette. Our table was already laid out for break­fast and the seats were more like arm­chairs with four of us around one table, then the pas­sage­way and a table for two next to the oth­er win­dow. Each table had its own lamp and the car­riage was divid­ed by pan­elled and win­dowed screens.

At 08:32 the engine whis­tled and with a series of mas­sive chuffs slow­ly pulled for­ward and out of the plat­form to a throng of pho­tog­ra­phers and peo­ple wav­ing. I have been on quite a few steam pulled trains in my time but this was the first time from a Lon­don Ter­mi­nus sta­tion on the main line and there real­ly was some­thing quite thrilling about the expe­ri­ence. It was a step back in time to trav­el before the 1960’s. Each rota­tion of the mas­sive wheels brought a cou­ple of gen­tle push­es to my back to remind me that we were being pulled along by steam pow­er. I am sure the loco­mo­tive crew are quite gen­tle with these old loco­mo­tives but it was so very much slow­er than mod­ern train to accel­er­ate up to a run­ning speed. Some­times I think we for­get how much more reli­able and quick are modern(ish) trains are. 

But I didn’t have long to bathe in the thoughts of the past as the Pull­man trained and badged wait­ing staff descend­ed on us like a flock of spar­rows with copi­ous amounts of break­fast food like the fire­man upfront shov­el­ing the coal into the fire­box, tea, cof­fee, por­ridge, mel­on with hon­ey and yoghurt, grilled Manx kip­pers, baked beans, sausage, hash brown, grilled toma­toes, fried bread, mush­rooms, fried egg and toast, clack­i­ty clack, down the hatch. (Apolo­gies to Bet­je­man — only with con­tin­u­ous­ly weld­ed rail we were miss­ing the clack­i­ty-clack rhythm of the rail joints but enjoy­ing the tea spillage-less smooth ride all the same!)

Break­fast was cleared and we relaxed back into the seats as the morn­ing sun streamed in through the window. 

Com­ing out of Lon­don Euston does not have the most endear­ing views of Lon­don — where­as Vic­to­ria gives stun­ning views over the Thames next to Bat­tersea pow­er sta­tion — which would have been nice. How­ev­er, once we were past the var­i­ous scrap yards, new build flats and indus­tri­al ware­hous­es we start­ed to be rout­ed through the inter­est­ing net­work of routes around Willes­den to join up with the main South West routes. 

We made our first stop at Stains where quite a few pas­sen­gers got on, then Wok­ing and then we made a stop for about 10 min­utes at Winch­field for the loco­mo­tive to take on water — we got out to have a look. There was a large truck with two large fire type hoses that were con­nect­ed onto the ten­der just below plat­form lev­el and we could hear a large pump whirring away from the truck push­ing the water in as fast as pos­si­ble. All the way down the line there were peo­ple lin­ing fences, hang­ing out of win­dows and stand­ing on bal­conies wav­ing to us or tak­ing pho­tographs. You can hear a big steam loco­mo­tive a cou­ple of miles off espe­cial­ly if it’s blow­ing its whistle!

Refreshed the train moved ever onwards and we enjoyed the views of the coun­try­side on a clear blue sky day. We rum­bled through Southamp­ton Cen­tral a few min­utes late and then cracked on to Bournemouth and Poole. the sea estu­ary views were spec­tac­u­lar. We stopped at Ware­ham for a crew change and then a mile after the sta­tion branched off on the old Swan­age branch line. This was closed to pas­sen­ger traf­fic in 1972 and has only been used for occa­sion­al goods trains to the oil depot a cou­ple of miles down the line. Two more miles down the line from that the Swan­age preser­va­tion rail­way starts and the track between the two has been restored for these char­ter trains. A tem­po­rary road cross­ing con­sist­ing of steel crowd bar­ri­ers and lots of men with red flags pro­tect­ed road users as the mighty Oliv­er Cromwell gin­ger­ly made its way over the road and onto the Swan­age Rail­way tracks where we were met by big crowds of peo­ple all wav­ing and tak­ing photographs. 

A light lunch of sand­wich­es, scones and tea was served which was just right after the hearty break­fast ear­li­er in the morning. 

A pho­to oppor­tu­ni­ty quick­ly revealed itself to our right as the mag­nif­i­cent Corfe Cas­tle ruins appeared as we went around a curve — again lots of peo­ple about on the cas­tle or in the sur­round­ing fields tak­ing pho­tographs and wav­ing and soon we were pulling to a stop at the ter­mi­nal sta­tion in Swan­age. I was intend­ing to take a cou­ple of pho­tos of the engine at Swan­age but the crowds of peo­ple already on the plat­form meant I couldn’t get any­where near! We gath­ered our bits and strolled into Swan­age for the two hours we had — the rail­way sta­tion is at the top of the main shop­ping street and it’s a 5-minute walk down that to the beach. We had a love­ly per­am­bu­la­tion along the front and to the end of the pier to walk off break­fast and lunch! We vis­it­ed the local muse­um, wan­dered around Swan­age which is a love­ly lit­tle town and Then we went and found Choco­co the Choco­late mak­ers Paula buys from on the inter­net and we ambled back to the sta­tion where a new engine, Tang­mere, had been attached to the front of the train for the jour­ney back at 16:20.

The jour­ney back up was very sim­i­lar to the jour­ney down. Tang­mere must have been doing over 60mph at times — you couldn’t hear the indi­vid­ual beats of the engine and it was absolute­ly fly­ing. the Timetable we had stat­ed that we would pass through Southamp­ton at 18:25:30 — yes — 25 past 6 and 30 sec­onds. And we did! My 21-minute com­mute in the morn­ings isn’t that accu­rate on tim­ing! But the main dif­fer­ence was the food — a four-course din­ner and plen­ty of wine to accom­pa­ny. As the sun set, we were treat­ed to Smoked Salmon and prawns on a bed of wild rock­et fol­lowed by fil­let of Scotch beef in a whisky and pep­per­corn sauce with scrump­tious fresh veg­eta­bles. This was then fol­lowed by a for­est cheese­cake with rasp­ber­ry coulis and dou­ble cream and then a selec­tion of cheese, grapes and bis­cuits. We worked our way through some cham­pagne and a very pre­sentable bot­tle of shi­raz fol­lowed up by a pass­able mer­lot and tea and mints. The sun went down, the table lamp came into its own and time flew by. We did have time for three games of Banana­gram, all of which Paula won — words are her thing (v good at scrab­ble — tip: nev­er play her for money).

And we found our­selves in the sub­urbs of Lon­don stuck for 20 min­utes on a dark line wait­ing for a sig­nal — some­one may have nicked some cop­per wire! Con­sid­er­ing how fast Tang­mere had made most of the jour­ney this last stop was unchar­ac­ter­is­tic but after a while, we pulled into Kens­ing­ton Olympia and disembarked.

Whilst we wait­ed for our local train con­nec­tion to Clapham junc­tion an old diesel pulled the train back­wards to its dept — a wisp of steam drift­ing from the chim­ney of Tang­mere as it wheezed its way back­wards off to the shed for a rest.

That has got to have been one of the best days out I have ever done. Wow.

And there is more...

I have been asked sev­er­al times who we booked the trip through and i am hap­py to give them a shout out: The Rail­way Tour­ing Com­pa­ny. I had some issues with their online book­ing func­tion so do check that you haven’t booked 4 times but they are very nice and help­ful peo­ple on the phone — ring them if you have any questions.

Swanage Belle Gallery


Other articles in this topic

Vintage tractors

On the 11th June 2011 we attended the Shakey Super Pull run by the Midlands Tractor Pulling Club at the Shakespeare Country Raceway. Read more about Vintage tractors