A plaster model kit of a classic French wooden goods shed.
French meter gauge goods shed
I was invited to display one of my layouts as part of the celebrations at the Froissy Dompierre Light Railway in France a few years ago. Whilst there I picked up a plaster cast kit of a classic wooden goods shed often found on the meter gauge lines with the idea that I would build a small layout for the La Meuse locomotive. The kit is from the artisan manufacturer Colinter Productions based in Verdun, Northern France. The kit is HO but I will be using it at 4mm to the foot so it might appear to be a little small to some people. I will claim artistic licence for any that mention it.
My French is abysmal. However the kit was straight forward enough - the plaster casting needing only a minor clean up to remove flashing and unwanted cast residue. The roof is corrugated cardboard - this could be substituted for better looking wiggly tin or a proper tile roof but I built my version as is. One side of the roof is larger than the other - I thought this was a mistake until I found plenty of prototype photos on the web.
I have not put together a plaster kit before so experimented with PVA and ended up using Evostick Ultra which appears to have done the job. There are 4 walls and the office that go on the base so the bulk is quite simple. The roof takes a little bit of thought and almost caught me out as it is actually deeper on one side - I had to check photos of prototypes online to make sure this wasn't a mistake. The roof trusses and beams are from the supplied strip wood and rest of lintels on the side walls.
I have applied a first paint over the black undercoat using mostly dry brushing techniques and need to consider the details for the final finish before I get this project back on the work bench.
- Plaster walls glued together by Simon Cox - Sun, July 13, 2014
- Corrugated card roof and strip wood beams by Simon Cox - Sun, July 13, 2014
- Roof beams sit on protruding wall lintels by Simon Cox - Sun, July 13, 2014
- View from below showing how the roof beams fit together - Sun, July 13, 2014
- Office end view with roof in position - Sun, July 13, 2014
- Goods hall end view - Sun, July 13, 2014
- First paint - some under textures applied ready for detailing by Simon Cox - Sat, October 04, 2014
- From Colinter Productions with box by Simon Cox - Sat, October 04, 2014